Tuesday 7 July 2009

Taverna - Villa Rossa

Positioned at the far end of the main town beach, Villa Rosa looks out down the beach and across to the little chapel Island in the bay. The lights of Parga and the spotlit chapel provide a charming vista while you eat of an evening and this is one of the few tavernas along the front in Parga where it is quiet enough to here the waves lapping on the shore as you dine. There is a little play area for children and also a bit of sandy beach where the kids can also play that's overlooked by the seating area.
The food is great and I would thoughly recommend the flat mushroom starter in brandy sauce if like me you enjoy a rich creamy sauce. Thankfully although I ordered the dolmades starter my wife couldn't finish the mushrooms so I got more than just a taster. I also had the Veal Liver which was grilled and really melted in the mouth. Again the whole meal with a half litre of house wine came to about €25 and we were brought an ouzo on the house with our bill. The only downpoint here is that the house wine (we tried the red so I don't know about the white) was a tad rough which had not been our experience in most of the tavernas in Parga (or in fact in much of Greece) where normally the house wine is particularly good. However bottled wine is available so I'd recommend splashing out a bit on the wine if you choose the Villa Rosa. (www.epirus.com/villarosa)
Sept 2007

No comments: